A Patient’s Guide To Immuno-Oncology
Things You Need To Know About Cancer Immunotherapy
You may already know about some of the treatment options available for cancer, such as surgery, chemotherapy, radiation or targeted therapy. With advances in science, there’s now another way to treat certain cancers: immuno- oncology, or sometimes known as cancer immunotherapy.
‘Immuno’ in immuno-oncology refers to your immune system. Immuno-oncology uses drugs known as immunotherapies that target your body’s immune system to help fight cancer.
This guide will help you understand cancer immunotherapy. Keep this for your reference. We’ve provided space for you to take notes and write down any questions you may have as you read through the guide.
The topics we cover in this guide include:
• How does immunotherapy work with my immune system to fight cancer?
• How is immunotherapy different from other types of cancer treatment?
• What side effects should I expect when taking immunotherapy?
• How might the tumor respond to immunotherapy?
• What can I do to play an active role in treatment?
• Is it normal to feel this way?
• What can I do to cope?
• Where can I get more information?